Main Features include:
- Supports AES-3 and SDI embedded audio in and out.
- Corrects incoming control track errors (pitch,phase,level & crc)
- Regenerates outgoing control track for DTT
- Selectable auto-mute of outgoing AD tracks
- Digital pre-mix for DSAT and DVD
- Interpolated smooth fade in mix mode
- Apology playback from MMC/SD card
- Apology recording from GPI or cue tone
- 6-channel remote control panel available
- Full audio monitoring of all inputs and outputs
- Comprehensive GPI control and status outputs
- Auto bypass on power fail of AES and SDI
- Ultra-reliable single board construction with no disk or fan
- Compact 1U rack-mounting unit.
Audio Description is the audio commentary provided alongside digital television services that describes key elements of picture activity for the benefit of blind and visually impaired people.
The service consists of an audio commentary and control signals that allow a suitably equipped decoder to reduce the level of the programme sound when an audio description is received. Further control signals allow the broadcaster to position the sound correctly within the stereo sound field. Both Fade and Pan signals are under the control of the broadcaster.
Audio Description was included as one of the ancillary services in the Broadcasting Act 1996. The ITC has set targets for increasing quotas of audio described programmes on digital services.
Back Panel Connections
- Mains in - An IEC mains socket with integrated switch fuse and filter.
- AES in A - A 3-pin female XLR carrying the main AES-3 signal. This input is bypassed directly to the 'AES Out' connector in the event of a failure. In police mode this signal is AD, in mix mode it can be programme audio. When selected, this input provides the reference audio clock (48Khz)
- AES In B - A 3-pin female XLR can be used for a source of programme audio in police mode or AD in mix mode. A sample-rate converter is included on this input.
- AES Out - A 3-pin male XLR carrying corrected AD signals as AES-3 or the mixed signal output.
- AES Mon - A 3-pin male XLR carrying an AES-3 version of the source selected for monitoring.
- AD Mon - A 3-pin male XLR carrying an electronically balanced audio feed of the source selected for monitoring.
- SDV In - A BNC socket accepting an SDV feed SMPTE 259M A,B or C terminated 75 ohms. This input is connected directly to 'SDV Out A' by the bypass relays in event of a fault. When selected, this input provides a line sync reference for the audio clock (48Khz).
- SDV Loop - A BNC socket carrying a buffered 'loop-through' version of the SDV signal.
- SDV Out A - A BNC socket carrying the regenerated SDV signal.
- SDV Out B - A buffered copy of SDV Out B on a BNC socket. If the unit is bypassed then a signal will not be provided here.
- Com1 - A 9-way 'D' socket providing an RS232 interface to an external computer.
- Remote - An RJ45 socket for ADP116 Remote Monitor
- Network - An RJ45 socket for network status monitoring. (Optional extra)
- GPI/Status - A 15-way High-Density 'D' socket carrying GPI/Os.